BrisLETS (Brisbane Local Energy Trading System) User Agreement
- BrisLETS charges a joining fee of $20.00 to cover the costs associated with Incorporation and publicity. The Treasurer prefers that this be paid by internet transfer to Brisbane LETS at NAB, BSB 084004, A/C 045353440, with your name included on the transaction. Alternatively a cheque or money order can be sent to PO Box 5082, West End, QLD, 4101, payable to Brisbane LETS.
- Applicants for membership are to start with at least one offering on the system. (e.g. ‘extra pair of hands’)
- BrisLETS currency is units. Members charge units for their goods and services – an amount equivalent to what they would be prepared to pay in dollars for similar goods and services. Apart from any cash for travel, materials etc., trading is to be in LETS units
- Members are entitled to begin trading before having a positive balance.
- An offer advertised on the system amounts to an invitation to do business only and is not binding. All trades are negotiable between the two parties involved.
- It is recommended that before entering into a transaction both parties have a written or verbal agreement and a clear understanding of the specific instructions for the job, the units per hour and monetary requirements that are fair and just to both members.
- To maintain only current accounts on the system, accounts not accessed or showing any trades over a two year period will be hidden, and reactivated by the Management Committee only on request from the member.
- Recommended credit and debit limits are set at plus and minus 2000 units. The Management Committee may adjust the limits if considered necessary. Members exceeding these limits will be invited to develop strategies for earning or spending units in order to bring their accounts into balance.
- Members will be charged an administrative fee in units equivalent to 4% of each trade. An annual unit levy to cover operational expenses will be charged when the Management Committee considers it necessary. The amount of the fee and this levy shall be set or amended from time to time.
- Except for the Management Committee deducting administrative fees, a member is the only person who can authorise units to be deducted from that member’s account. It is the responsibility of the member to check their trading account regularly and advise the Secretary if any unauthorised deductions have been made.
- Members who have a disagreement are encouraged to seek help from the BrisLETS Management Committee. If that is not successful they should seek the services of a mediator from the resource list.
- The BrisLETS Management Committee accepts no responsibility for the quality of work or declared level of skill of any member. It is a member’s responsibility to be satisfied as to the trading status and qualifications of other members. The Management Committee is not liable for loss, damage or injury arising out of the use of the system. BrisLETS is not responsible for providing indemnity for members trading with each other.
- Unless otherwise authorised by the Management Committee, account-holders may operate only one account in the system.
- It is the responsibility of members to keep personal contact details, offers and wants updated. The Management Committee may close the account of any member who is not contactable.
- Units cannot be exchanged for dollars between members.
- A member wishing to leave the system agrees to restore their account to zero. The Management Committee can advise on how best to do this.
- The Management Committee can suspend the account of any member who breaches any material trading rule or who acts in a way considered to be unethical or contrary to the spirit of BrisLETS.
- Members are responsible for advising any details of their trading to any appropriate government department or instrumentality that may require such details (e.g. Australian Tax Office, Centrelink). This will not be undertaken by, and is not the responsibility of, the BrisLETS Management Committee.
UNDERTAKING AND ACCEPTANCE
- I nominate my email address as used on the exchange as the address at which I choose to receive communications and notices.
- I accept the above terms and conditions and undertake to:
- Negotiate fair trades with other members.
- Keep my personal contact details, offerings and wants updated, and to regularly review my offerings to ensure they provide sufficient information for others to engage in trade with me.
- Enter transactional information on the BrisLETS website as soon as possible after a transaction takes place. If I do not have the means to do it myself, I will get another member to do it for me or provide the details to the membership secretary to enter the trade on my behalf.
- Make every effort to keep my balance within the limits suggested by the Management Committee, actively promoting my offerings if my account balance is a large negative amount, and actively promoting my wants if my account balance is a large credit amount.
- Advise the Management Committee if I wish to de-register or move from one exchange to another.
These terms and conditions may be changed by the BrisLETS Management Committee from time to time. Any changes will be published in the newsletter and updated online.
Current as at 9 August 2016